February 10, 2010

Ceramics

I've been hard at work in ceramics class but I don't have anything to show for it yet. My pinch pot rattles are still awaiting their pit firing (in like a bon fire outside), the weather hasn't been cooperating for my teacher to do that. I'm still in the middle of my coil building project. I will be excited to move on and try wheel throwing some pottery.

On Monday and Tuesday of this week I watched visiting artist Jennifer Allen demonstrate how she makes her pottery, which turned out to be a better experience then I thought it would be- the photos on the flyers for her didn't do her much justice. We watched her instead of having class on Monday, then on Tuesday I went back and spent some of my free time watching her make handles and attach handbuilt parts. I wish I could have watched her do glazing.
She made a lot more than this over the two days:

Anyhow, since most of what one tends to see in the ceramics world is dark, heavy, masculine, earthtones, dated, etc, it was a real nice change of pace to see what ceramics can be: light, feminine, colorful, youthful, whimsical, traditional yet modern. She was interesting to watch and listen to, she's not a whole lot older than myself.
These photos don't do much justice either!


The whole experience was a lesson to myself that you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover...or an artist by the crappy flyer that some student made. It really helped me become more excited for wheelthrowing, too. I bought one of her bowls- she brought "seconds" that really didn't look like anything was majorly wrong with them for students to buy. They were much cheaper than the prices she gets in galleries, so it was nice to have something nice from an artist that didn't cost an arm and a leg. It's really nice to own something handmade.

I loved the blue and the scallops, so I fell for it. I also like the scrolls and floral elements, nice. Hopefully I can make something nifty too!

No comments:

Post a Comment