September 10, 2010

Pin Holder Frame

So I bought this empty frame for seriously $2 at a local flea market...and I wondered just what to do with it:



It's small, the opening is about 9x7 and it's meant to sit on your dresser. It likely had a mirror in it in a past life. Should I put a mirror in it? A picture? What picture would work?

And then I had an epiphany- I'll make a padded insert and it can hold my collection of pins!

I measured and cut a piece of very thing corrugated cardboard (got it from a shoe box) to fit in the frame and then hot glued some very thin batting (no thicker then felt) to it. I trimmed the batting so that it didn't hang over the edge. I had bought a small amount of tan fine wale corduroy to use for this project- I wanted a neutral color. A vintage distressed tan velvet looked good in my mind, but that's a little hard to come by.

I cut and ironed a piece of corduroy a little larger then my cardboard and wrapped it around the batting and hot glued on the back to secure it. I didn't want hot glue coming through the fabric on the front!


I tacked it in the frame with some hot glue, making sure not to use too much or it would bleed out on the front. It didn't need much to hold it in and I can peel it out if I want to use the frame for another purpose.

But the ugly back didn't thrill me so I glued on another thin layer of cardboard over the edges of fabric and then picked a piece of Amy Butler scrapbook paper from a pack that I have (got it on sale, love it!).

The colors went perfectly with the shade of off-white.

I imagine this living on a dresser with a mirror someday, so I wanted an attractive back on it.



And I loved how the front turned out- totally shows off my pin collection well.



My little bride doll likes it too. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Fab fab fab! (Dolls scare me though. lol) You made that look like a million bucks and your pin collection is so cute it should be displayed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I find most dolls creepy myself, but the little bride dolls don't freak me out. I'm careful not to get too many- that's really freaky! I like my pins too- I like putting everyday items on display.

    ReplyDelete